Re: novice question

thank you so much, Whitney!

>>> Whitney Dickinson <whitney@MEMES.COM> 03/28 1:16 PM >>>
Marina,

I just taught a class on exactly the type of book you're talking about.
You'll find detailed instructions in Keith Smith's book, "Non-Adhesive
Bindings" (Number 28, I believe). It's a combination longstich (Langstitch)=

and catch or kettle or chain stitch (kettenstitch - I think).

There are a couple tricks:

First, the quires/signatures/gatherings should be quite fat. Use either
thick paper or several sheets nested. The reason this is important is that
you use each set of holes (sewing stations), for two quires/signatures =
(and
they end up being about 1/8" apart which helps alleviate tearing). You are
actually sewing each quire directly into the covering material (in your
case, leather).

Another trick is that you need one more kettle stitch hole than you have
longstitch holes (for example, if you've got 8 quires, you'll have 4 sets =
of
longstitch holes along the spine and 5 kettle stitch holes).

Another trick is that after you complete each chain stitch (you back into
the hole you came from) you only go through the cover material (not back
into the same quire) and up into the next quire.

Hope this helps!
Whitney